Tuesday, January 24, 2006

We use to be friends a long time ago...

It was just announced this morning that underdog TV channels UPN and WB will cease their independent broadcast in September and merge to form one new network, called the CW. It's assumed that it stands for CBS and Warner Bros., the two companies that owned UPN and the WB respectively, and will own the new network 50-50.

Immediately this news brought on panic for all the great shows that now exist between the 2 networks. Ok, really, I only cared about Veronica Mars (my new favorite) and Gilmore Girls (an old standby), but there are some other TV shows that must be considered. Such as Smallville (you would think I would watch it regularly, considering my love of all things Superman, but I never started as it was opposite Buffy for some time) and um... well... okay maybe that's it. These three shows were mentioned in the announcement as being on the soon-to-announced schedule, so we do not have to fear their cancellation. But if you're a Reba or Twins fan (I'm looking at you, Sharyn), I would start that letter-writing campaign now. Two networks broadcasting full primetime schedules condensing itself to one network means that at least half of the garbage on these channels will be gone.

But maybe this will be a good move for both. Each has had some success with certain shows over the years. Maybe now they can distill their line down to something consistent and strong. And at the very least, I feel Veronica Mars won't have a UPN stigma to it. I've always felt Veronica belonged amongst The WB crowd anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home