Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Perhaps I'm not enough of a modern woman to appreciate it...

A fraud is being perpetrated upon all good carbonated-beverage-drinking Americans. Perhaps you have seen the commercials for Coca-Cola's new Smooth Serve bottles- a shapely, smaller, supposedly easier to pour container. The advertisement I've seen shows a mom at home who is talking on the phone to her client. You don't get a good sense of what the service this mom provides her client, but it seems to require a laptop and a lot a important paper documents, so it must be vitally important. In addition, her child is in desperate need of some major mommy-holding. But this modern woman can do all of this, and now, thanks to the miracle of Coke's vision, she can also pour herself a refreshing glass of cola using only one hand.

Sounds good doesn't it? This smaller bottle is 1.5 Liters and when I first saw it on the shelf it was on sale for only $0.89 per bottle. "That's an even better value than a 2 Liter bottle," I cunningly deduced using only my wits and my cell phone's calculator. This just keeps getting better and better, right?

Wrong! Two weeks later, the 2-Liter bottles are gone for good from my local supermarket, word is they aren't coming back ever, and the sale price that made them so attractive has transformed into $1.19. That's the same price as the 2-Liter bottle! I've never complained about the size or shape. I"m not a workaholic mother. I have no need to be pouring cola while conducting business meetings and playing with babies. This is the only way they could raise the price of coke while still coming across as offering something new. Well I'm not fooled! You may be thinking I should get used to drinking less soda. Diet Coke, or D.C. for those in the know, is not a frivolous luxury for our house. It is a staple. More so than milk and bread. My apartment will never be out of soda or coffee. It may be put into my wedding vows one day. It's that important. This seems to be only happening in New York City for now, but there are plans afoot to spread it to all 50 states soon. So if this bait and switch game hasn't come to your soda aisle yet, just wait. It'll happen. And in the meantime enjoy your unpourable 2-Liter bottles. And for gosh sakes, put the baby down before you spill something.

3 Comments:

At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt! I am so happy to find someone who feels my Diet Coke pain! I too was confronted with the new "sleek" bottle, which delivers a mere 1.5 liters of the "elixer of life" which I need to sustain daily activity, for an outrageous $1.39! I was so angry I confronted a 17 year old A&P worker about this travesty. He only stared with a very confused look and tried to make a dumb joke about logging a complaint with the Coke people. I did rant to various family and friends for a few days about Coke's robbing of the American family, only to find that when I returned to the A&P the next week, the normal bottles had been restored. Perhaps this is only temporary insanity. We can hope.

-Conservative Chick
(haha! you liberals are cheap too!)

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Matt Coleman said...

I prefer to think of us liberals as "fiscally responsible." ;-)

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Devon said...

I am amazed by this. I was not aware that such bottles exist. I immediately went to peapod.com to see if I could find a picture, but alas, they only offer the 2.0 liter ounce. So maybe the Boston area has been spared this monstrosity. Then again, I don't really drink Coke anymore, so I don't feel the direct effect, but I am willing to bitch and moan for the rest of you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home