Monday, May 24, 2004

The sky is green, yeah, that's the ticket...

The President fell off his bike this past weekend and suffered a few minor cuts at his Crawford ranch. Now I'm not going to make the obvious jokes about how he though being President was as easy as riding a bike or about how his training wheels must have just been taken off. I'll leave that to Kerry. What I did find interesting was the statement his White House spokesperson gave about the incident.

"It's been raining a lot and the topsoil is loose," the spokesman said. "You know this president. He likes to go all out. Suffice it to say he wasn't whistling show tunes."

As a person who is often found to be whistling showtunes, I found this a bit offensive, especially considering I have been known to do so when riding a bike, and I've never fallen off as a result of it.

Regardless, the important thing is that the statement is a lie. It has NOT been raining a lot! A quick search shows that it hasn't rained in weeks and it's been in the very high 80s to 90s every day last week. I don't care if the president is too much of a moron to ride a bike. And if he needs to make himself out to be a manly man (like me!) even when he fails to accomplish what a 5 year old can often do, then fine. But they can't leave it there. They have to lie about it.

They lie about the weather!!!

When you lie about the weather, it's a sure sign that you have a compulsive lying disorder. The president needs to take time off, not to go "all out" at Crawford, but to get professional help. Say about four years worth.

4 Comments:

At 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to hand it to you, Matt. The weather.com link pretty much proves the fallacy of the statement. I'm not sure, however, that the statement was checked and approved by the President himself. You make a valid point regardless, when you consider that a good leader can (at least in some cases)be measured by those he/she surrounds himself/herself with. Those people are paid to spin, but I do think there is a line between "spin" and "lie." An interesting point, but one that I am not sure will go on the list (and there is a list) of things that worry me about Bush.

-The young, socially conscious "conservative"

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger Matt Coleman said...

The mysterious compassionate conservative returns! While I don't think this incident is really all that significant, I mentioned it because it was both funny and perhaps indicative of a larger problem. Deceit is an everyday occurrence with this administration and it's gotten so bad they turn to it to explain away even the events that would lose them no political capital. It's a rampant disease in this White House that seems to infect everyone. If only they believed in condoms.

 
At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since when do you have a socially-conscious conservative reader? And can we clone him? He or she seems to have a strong sense of logic and reason that I often find absent among modern conservatives (particularly ones who support this president).

Also, I can't believe that the spokesperson lied about the weather and insulted the gays! i mean, i'm not a showtune fan myself, but that seems to be an unnecessary jab.

 
At 3:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why did you automatically assume the socially conscious conservative was a he? I am female. But thanks for the compliment about my logical reasoning abilities!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home