Monday, May 17, 2004

Muffins and mimosas...

Two exciting things happened this morning.

First, same-sex couple can now marry in the state of Massachusetts! Despite the endless barrage of attempts to stall by the religious right and their republican buddies trying to score political points, the courts have upheld their original decision at every turn and as of 12:01am this morning gays can legally wed. I woke up to images on television of same-sex couples standing in line at various city halls throughout the state. There was obvious celebration and yet the faces of most couples showed less victory and more contentment and entitlement. I was listening to talk radio on my way in to work and a gay man who was at the North Hampton city hall was on the phone with the host. His first comments were "Muffins and mimosas for everyone! We can marry!" How can anyone be threatened by that?

The second exciting thing is the opening on a new Dunkin' Donuts on First Ave. See, this new location is directly on my way from the First Ave L stop and work. Growing up in Kearny, NJ, Dunkin' Donuts coffee was the only thing getting me through high school at times. I submit to you it is the best coffee ever. More importantly they are leaders in coffee cup innovation. Their newest lids with an easy open-close strip that fastens into place is the greatest thing to happen to the coffee cup in the last 10 years. So now I can have this delicious beverage every morning on my way to work. So in honor or the gay muffin man, I got myself a blueberry muffin with my coffee. Now if only Dunkin' Donuts sold mimosas.

4 Comments:

At 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We should have Dunkin' Donuts cater our wedding!

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Matt Coleman said...

I think a Dunkin' Donuts wedding is perfectly logical for two gay kids who grew up New Jersey and Boston, where Dunkin' Donut shops can be found on every other streetcorner. It will be the social event of the year, talked about for years to come. French Vanilla medium coffees and munchkins and coffee rolls for everyone!

 
At 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dunkin Donuts coffee IS by far the BEST coffee in the world. No one has ever done French Vanilla like the people of Dunkin Donuts. Those who atempt it with flavored syrups and the like fail miserably.

Also enjoyed your "who can be threatened by that" commentary. As a (eek, must I say it) conservative (?) I wonder myself why there is so much hubbub over gay marriage. It certainly doesn't bother me...and as for the argument that it contributes to the 'degeneration' of society.....please. That's simply not true. (And not a compelling enough, or even prove-able, argument.)I think the problem is a vast generation gap among 'Republicans' or 'Conservatives.' Most of the younger generation who use these labels for lack of better ones, are quite socially 'liberal.' I don't know.

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Matt Coleman said...

Ooh a conservative in The Matt-Cave! I don't think that's ever really happened before. I wonder how such a thing could occur. Do I know you?

All joking aside, I think your comment on 'conservative' and 'republican' labels correct. They have been co-opted by the religious-right and it's hard for opponents of that specific group to tell them apart from those with true republican values. Their radical voices can be so loud. Glad to know there are reasonable people left on the opposite side of the aisle.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home