Tuesday, May 18, 2004

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's a terrible job market...

For the past 6 months I have been searching for a new job in the publishing industry. I am currently a Marketing Manager for The Pearl Theatre, an off-Broadway not-for-profit theater company. I work long hard hours for no money and while I don't mind that aspect, I would much rather work long hard hours for no money in the field I want to be a part of. I've been trying to get an entry-level job at a publishing house or magazine for quite some time. And it's killing me. I am beginning to think I am simply unemployable.

A few weeks ago, I found a listing for an editorial assistant at DC Comics. Now if you know me at all, you know I have read comics, especially of the DC variety, all my life. I love the medium and know everything there is to know about it. I have some editing experience and went to school for journalism/publishing. It's more or less an entry-level job and I am perfect for it. I attacked that job listing as many different ways as I could. I was aggressive, yet respectful. I tried to get my resume into as many important hands as possible without overwhelming. I talked to as many people as possible without becoming a nuisance and felt I did all anyone possibly could do to gain attention. It came time to sit and wait for HR to recognize how perfect I am for the job. So I waited. And I waited. As of this morning the job listing has been pulled from the site and my phone hasn't rung.

Maybe I should have been a doctor.

3 Comments:

At 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can take my place and finish my doctorate if you want to; I don't think anyone would notice the switch, since we are just like Haley Mills in The Parent Trap, you and I. But I will warn you that as far as I can tell the only good thing about a PhD is being able to check the "Dr." box instead of "Ms." when you're filling out governmental forms.

Hilleary

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger Matt Coleman said...

That sounds like a good plan, as long as I get to be the fun, spunky, grab-life-by-the-balls Haley Mills.

 
At 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fine with me -- being Any version of Haley Mills has got to be more fun than graduate school.

H

 

Post a Comment

<< Home