Friday, June 11, 2004

Wicked must be too close a "Friend of Dorothy" for their tastes...

Despite what is sure to be massive protests and very liberal environment, the Republican National Convention hits New York City at the end of August. Mostly they are coming here so they can actually point to Ground Zero when they mention in every paragraph of every speech they intend to give. In between their grandstanding, their lying, and their disruption of everything happening in the city, they will naturally be seeing some theater. The RNC has officially selected 8 shows for convention-goers to see. And if anyone needed further proof that Republicans were old, straight white bores they need look no further than this list: 42nd Street, Aida, Bombay Dreams, The Lion King, Fiddler on the Roof, The Phantom of the Opera, Beauty and the Beast, and Wonderful Town.

Can you spot what's missing from this list? Could it be any mention of homosexuality or race or political dissent? Or maybe a little someone called TONY who stopped by Broadway last Sunday to bestow his grace on Broadway's best?

I guess conservatives can't stomach Best Musical winner Avenue Q because of the puppet sex and the gay republican puppet. Perhaps Hugh Jackman's award-winning turn as Peter Allen in The Boy From Oz was too offensive because of the character's sexual orientation, though Sarah-Jessica Parker seemed to enjoy herself the other night. I can understand Assasins not being on the list, what with it's themes of political unrest and that whole "let's kill the president" sub-plot. But how do you get over the exclusion of my personal pick for the best, most affecting thing on stage right now, Caroline, or Change, Tony Kushner's musical about a black maid dealing with the racial turmoil of the sixties both within herself and without? You can't. It's racist. Or Raisin in the Sun for that matter? Well that could just be Puffy's fault. It all adds up to yet another subtle reminder that the Republican party is out of step with the many different experiences of New Yorkers and the nation at large.

3 Comments:

At 10:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the biggest scandal regarding the Republicans and the Theatre involves their choice of when to descend upon the city -- off season. Had they come to town just a few month earlier (there is some political tomfoolery about the timing of the convention and financing) they would have been in the midst of the Pearl Theatre's rousing twentieth. When We Dead Awaken may have hit too close to home for a big bunch of zombies, but I think it goes further than that. It's rumored that there is at least one Gay, one African-American, and one Jew involved at the Pearl behind the scenes. It's enough to shock all but the most hearty Rebublicans.

Something tells me they won't be traveling up to the Apollo either for their nights of conservative comraderie. Naked Boys Singing is still on their agenda, I hear, but marked as tentative.

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Devon said...

Don't mind me, I'm bored in Kearny for the week and I'm going comment crazy now that I've found your little blog...

As much as I'm looking forward to escaping Boston, I must admit that I'll be quite happy to be there in July enjoying the DNC convention. I will begrudgingly say, though, that I doubt that the DNC would openly endorse Avenue Q - at the same time, I don't think they'd limit their members to an "approved" list of musicals. Having just seen that wonderful show for the 2nd time in 9 months last night (it's always good to see AQ immediately after earning a degree - especially if your degree is NOT a BA in English), I'll end on this note:

George Bush is only for now.

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Matt Coleman said...

So now that I know your name, Melissa, I can bring down upon you my terrible liberal wrath! Muah-haha!

Don't worry, it mostly consists of pink cocktails and doilies. But I pay for it with my welfare checks. Muah-ha!

Ok, I'm done being weird.

As to your question about the shows, it isn't that it's an approved list. The RNC entertainment committee is hosting outings to these 8 shows during the convention. So they aren't actively not approving of the other shows I mentioned. They have simply decided that they are not worth their time. But Beauty and The Beast, however. Now that's art! Sigh.

I never said "rich, white men." My statement about "old, straight, white bores" was mostly a joke on Republican stereotypes. Believe me I understand the danger in adhereing to such assumptions. Collin Powell amd Condoleezza Rice are perfect examples that bad leaders come in all shapes and sizes. I didn't bring up economic factors or gender in my post. So maybe you are being a little defensive? I think you are right though, that attacking members of a political party for their race or economic status is not productive to the overall debate of the issues. But what with the tax cuts, the support for an anti-gay amendment, appointing anti-choice judges, etc., I also reject the idea that the current Republican leadership is friendly to anyone but rich white straight men. Their bigotry towards and contempt for the entire patchwork of American people shows in their policies and becomes their politics.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home