Friday, June 25, 2004

Capturing my nostalgic yearnings in 1000 pages or less...

All this fuss over the new Clinton memoir, My Life, is very amusing. Critics of both books and of The Clintons have been trashing the over 900-page tome this past week and without having read the book yet some of the comments seem wildly pointless. The New York Times reviewed the book last Sunday and (surprise surprise!) panned it at every turn. What else would one expect from a paper that spent the last ten years treating Clinton with the sort of systematic hatred often found still spewing from the right-wing media pundits gaping maws. Times book reviewer and partisan hack Michiko Kakutani wrote "compared to the memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant, arguably the most richly satisfying autobiography by an American president, My Life has little of that classic's unsparing candor or historical perspective."

God forbid The Times acknowledge Bill Clinton might have written a book as good as President Grant. What is so wrong with allowing an intelligent man to write intelligently? I can't wait to read this book, myself. I'm very nostalgic for the Clinton era. Last year I read The Clinton Wars, and that was a huge dense book that everyone loved. Some people find Clinton's new book to be "eye-crossingly boring," but I call it my summer reading. I've found over the past few years that I love a good thick memoir about interesting people and Bill Clinton is as interesting as they come. If nothing else, this book promises to be smart. Unlike some recent presidents, I can actually listen to President Clinton endlessly talk about mundane facets of policy. That may not entirely be fair since our current president chooses not to discuss policy and never seems to consider mundane facets of anything.

But all of this hullabaloo over the Clinton book makes me wonder if Bush will ever consider "telling his side of the story." The President who can't read or pronounce multi-syllabic words trying to write a memoir could be the only good thing to come out of this administrations reign of terror. Good as in terribly amusing to me. Filled with macho swaggering and inane inconsistencies, the book itself would be infuriating if not incomprehensible, but the funny is in the process. Picture George W. pouring over his manuscript late into the night in his library or study. That's comedy! Come next January he's going to make one hilarious ex-president.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home