Monday, September 27, 2004

Next up: building a sukkah...

I understand why people decide to fast in order to show repentance and become closer to G-D. Not eating food for a day is probably the easiest way to throw your body completely out of whack. It makes you go out of your mind with hunger. So I suppose that if one wanted to hallucinate, oops, I mean talk to G-d directly, then not eating would be the fastest way to accomplish this.

One day doesn't sound that long and in the grand scheme of world hunger I am sure it isn't. But I have never tried it. And it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be.

The largest hurdle? I was the only person fasting! In a house full of Jews!

My boyfriend, who I promised to fast along with for moral support, lasted a total of 4 and a half hours. We ate before our road trip and by the time we got to Brookline, he decided that being hungry was more important than being Jewish. If it wasn't for the fact that he has very little, if anything, to atone for, I would be mad. But he's a good kid throughout the year. So I can't hold it against him.

All day long food was being eaten or prepared and my stomach was screaming obscenities at me. "How dare you pass on that sandwich, you F#@$%*& A@#$hole!" "You won't let me partake in that cake, you little s#@$! For shame!" There is nothing worse than an indignant, pretentious stomach with a patty mouth.

Despite my whining and moaning about it though, it was nice to know I have the will power to accomplish a one-day fast. Maybe I'll try the whole unleavened bread thing at Pesach this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home